Henry Rutherford Butler
born in Cumberland county, North Carolina, April 11. 1862. His early life was spent on the farm, during which time he received at odd times three months free school instruction. In 1874 his parents moved to Wilmington; there he worked in saw mills, lumber yards, with the cotton compresses and as a stevedore. He spent his nights studying under Prof. E. E. Green, now Dr. E. E. Green of Macon, Ga. January 3, through the assistance of his instructor, he entered,,Lincoln University, Pa., and was graduated June 18, 1887, receiving the degree of A. B.; .October,the same year, he matriculated in Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tenn., graduating with the degree of M. D. February 27, 1890. The same year the degree of A. M. was conferred on him by Lincoln University. While at Nashville he won the H. T. Noel gold medal for proficiency in operative surgery and dissecting. He arrived in Atlanta March,1890, and began the practice of medicine. He was one of the organizers of the first drug store owned and operated by colored men in Georgia. It was known as Butler, Slater & Co. .He was organizer and first president of the Empire State Medical Association of colored physicians. He was appointed surgeon of the Second Georgia Battalion, Colored Volunteers, in 1891, with rank of first lieutenant, by the lonorable W.J. Northern, then governor. May 5, 1893, he married Miss Salina Sloan of Atlanta, a graduate of Spellmann Seminary, who has been a most faithful, loving and helpful companion. Re took a special course in the diseases of children in 1894 at the Harvard School of Medicine, Boston, Mass. In 1895, in the same school he took a special course in surgery. November 1, 1900, H. R. Butler, Jr., came, adding new blessings and happiness to his home and life. Dr. Butler is the first, and so far the only colored man to be a regular contributor to the great Southern daily, The Atlanta Constitution. He has held that position since 1895….